WELCOME

This blog is dedicated to Malta - my island home. My aim is not to bore you with history but to share my thoughts and a few facts together with a photo or two. For a more in -depth background of the island please go here. The purpose of this blog is not to point out the short-comings of the island. There are plenty that do that already. My wish is to show you the beauty of an island at the cross roads of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of history; a place where fact and fiction are sometimes fused to create unique myths and legends; a country that has been conquered so many times that our culture is a mish mesh of the lands that surround us and of lands far away. I confess that my greatest desire is to make you fall in love with this tiny enchanting island.

Pages

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Yellow House, Birgu

The Inquisitor's Palace (12)

I still remember the time when the exterior of most town-houses would be painted in all sorts of different colours. Nowadays, the trend is to peel off the paint and expose the limestone blocks out of which our houses are built. Since I am not a student of architecture, I won’t go into the merits, or otherwise, of this practice. But let’s just say that in the blazing heat  of the mid-day summer sun, the pastel and rainbow hues were easier on the eyes than stark-white. I am glad to see that the practice of painting the facades of houses has not completely died out. This lemony, hue reminiscent of sorbet, brightens up the whole street.

Location: Birgu, June 2013

7 comments:

  1. I love this yellow house, it looks so cheerful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that bright lemon yellow, too! It's so cheering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you put that, Loree: a lemony hue reminiscent of sorbet. Just reading your words made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not even understand how I finished up right here, however I thought this publish was good. I don’t realize who you are but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger for those who aren’t already Cheers!

    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I love the pastels, the lemon is refreshing. I am ready for any colour at this point.. other than white snow! xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think I would miss the color. This is fantastic! And it shows off the details!

    ReplyDelete

The Azure Window: the end of an icon

The Azure Window was a natural limestone arch that rose majestically out of the blue Mediterranean sea to a height of 28 metres (92 fee...