WELCOME

This blog is dedicated to Malta - my island home. My aim is not to bore you with history but to share my thoughts and a few facts together with a photo or two. For a more in -depth background of the island please go here. The purpose of this blog is not to point out the short-comings of the island. There are plenty that do that already. My wish is to show you the beauty of an island at the cross roads of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of history; a place where fact and fiction are sometimes fused to create unique myths and legends; a country that has been conquered so many times that our culture is a mish mesh of the lands that surround us and of lands far away. I confess that my greatest desire is to make you fall in love with this tiny enchanting island.

Pages

Tuesday 29 December 2009

Valletta in Sepia (1) – St John’s Courtyard

The foundation stone of Valletta was laid in 1566 on what was then known as the Sceberras Peninsula. Surrounded by water on three sides, Valletta was in a key position to defend the entrance to the Grand Harbour. The plan for the new fortified city was drawn up by Grand Master La Vallette, the hero of the great siege of 1565.

Valletta is a gem of Baroque architecture and, as such, lends itself to some spectacular photos of palaces, auberges, fortifications and churches. In colour, Valletta is beautiful, but I think (and this is just my opinion) that it is in sepia that the true beauty of this small city can best be appreciated. At least, when I find myself wandering its streets with a camera in my hand, I find myself shooting in sepia, hoping to do justice to its grandeur and most times finding myself overwhelmed by it.

So I have decided to start a series of posts entitled ‘Valletta in Sepia’ to share some of the gems this city has to offer with you. Today’s shots are of the back courtyard of St John’s Co-cathedral.

Christmas Decorations 041 Christmas Decorations 040

10 comments:

  1. That's a lovely posting. I look forward to seeing more of your Valletta photos.

    I've just finished reading another fictional story about The Great Siege it was called The Religion. It includes the horrific attack on Fort St Elmo from Mount Sceberras. Hard to imagine Malta without Valletta nowadays! It is a beautiful city and the views from it are spectacular. Can't wait to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos Loree! Can't wait for the next installment :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valletta in Sepia is gorgeous! I especially like the texture in these. Looking forward to more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful images you've shared with us today. I think Valetta in Sepia will be magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your whole island is beautiful Loree, and shooting in sepia sort of highlights the historic character and value of this place. Very well done, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, and great information on Valetta, Loree!

    Have a wonderful and great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. isn't Malta where the Apostle Paul was warmly greeted; got bit by a poisonous snake; survived and then stayed with the governor (leader) of Malta for months? looking forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Loree. Just a passing comment..in your introduction you said "My aim is not to bore you with history." History doesn't have to be boring - it's the way one explains it that can be offputting.
    And I noticed that you do insert history notes. But the way you go about it makes history interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for your comments. I truly appreciate each and every one of them.
    @Zen, I agree with you about history.
    I find it fascinating but, unfortunately, not everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Justice served! Well done my dear.

    ReplyDelete

The Azure Window: the end of an icon

The Azure Window was a natural limestone arch that rose majestically out of the blue Mediterranean sea to a height of 28 metres (92 fee...