WELCOME

This blog is dedicated to Malta - my island home. My aim is not to bore you with history but to share my thoughts and a few facts together with a photo or two. For a more in -depth background of the island please go here. The purpose of this blog is not to point out the short-comings of the island. There are plenty that do that already. My wish is to show you the beauty of an island at the cross roads of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of history; a place where fact and fiction are sometimes fused to create unique myths and legends; a country that has been conquered so many times that our culture is a mish mesh of the lands that surround us and of lands far away. I confess that my greatest desire is to make you fall in love with this tiny enchanting island.

Pages

Friday 4 September 2009

My Ode to the Sea

When you live by the sea, you learn to love is quirky moods ...


... moments of laughter



... are followed by moments of anger



... sometimes it whispers




... sometimes it thunders




It is ever moving, ever changing. Our greatest friend; our biggest enemy. Liberating us and yet hemming us in. Defining our boundaries...


From the womb to the grave we're slaves to its temper, we move to its rhythm, never free from its incessant call. It beckons and whispers and calls us by name. Few can resist it ... it runs through our veins.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Loree...I understand the power of the presence of the sea...never living by one, but having visited, it is all encompassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Loree, what a beautiful post! Your poetic words as well as your stunning photography. I can almost hear the waves crashing against the rocks and smell the fresh sea air. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post and felt as if I had visited the sea and witnessed some of its quirky moods along with you. I love the "sometimes it whispers" part.

    ReplyDelete

The Azure Window: the end of an icon

The Azure Window was a natural limestone arch that rose majestically out of the blue Mediterranean sea to a height of 28 metres (92 fee...