WELCOME

This blog is dedicated to Malta - my island home. My aim is not to bore you with history but to share my thoughts and a few facts together with a photo or two. For a more in -depth background of the island please go here. The purpose of this blog is not to point out the short-comings of the island. There are plenty that do that already. My wish is to show you the beauty of an island at the cross roads of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of history; a place where fact and fiction are sometimes fused to create unique myths and legends; a country that has been conquered so many times that our culture is a mish mesh of the lands that surround us and of lands far away. I confess that my greatest desire is to make you fall in love with this tiny enchanting island.

Pages

Sunday 15 July 2012

The Southern Coastline: Hofriet

Delimara (33)

Hofriet is the Maltese word for holes and it aptly describes this cove, and another next to it, situated in the southern part of the island, because when seen from above, they do look like two adjacent holes separated by a thin strip of land. This part of Malta is characterised by soft, white, limestone  cliffs. In some places, the slopes incline gradually towards the sea. In others, the drop is sheer and unforgiving.

Delimara (34)

The best way to reach this cove is either by boat or else by swimming from the next bay through an archway in the cliff.

Delimara (35)

A precarious path down to the water  probably also exists – although I could not see one.

The scenery is quite pretty - the blue sea in sharp contrast with the bleached limestone of the rocks and cliffs.

Steven and Cristina 050

You will notice a difference in the colours of the photos since they were taken on two very different days: a breezy day in early June and a bright summer’s day in mid-September.

Steven and Cristina 051

That is one thing that I absolutely love about the sea – it’s ever-changing faces and moods.

Steven and Cristina 052Steven and Cristina 053

I have yet to visit Hofriet during the winter when the wind will roar and heave the sea into columns of spray. It must surely be a spectacular sight.

Photographed at

Hofriet

Delimara

June and September 2011

5 comments:

  1. That second to last photo is just stunning. I mean, they all are, but that one stands out for me.

    I like how you project moods onto the face of the sea. I've not spent near enough time by the water to have picked up on such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful coastline and yes, the ever changing sea is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your shots of the sea, and that archway/opening is fascinating to see. It doesn't look as if any small boat could pass through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing colors and such a pretty place!
    It all looks like a heaven to me.
    Wish you a wonderful week :)
    My Yatra Diary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely part of the sea ! I first thought you showed a coastline from England, lol !

    ReplyDelete

The Azure Window: the end of an icon

The Azure Window was a natural limestone arch that rose majestically out of the blue Mediterranean sea to a height of 28 metres (92 fee...