WELCOME

This blog is dedicated to Malta - my island home. My aim is not to bore you with history but to share my thoughts and a few facts together with a photo or two. For a more in -depth background of the island please go here. The purpose of this blog is not to point out the short-comings of the island. There are plenty that do that already. My wish is to show you the beauty of an island at the cross roads of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of history; a place where fact and fiction are sometimes fused to create unique myths and legends; a country that has been conquered so many times that our culture is a mish mesh of the lands that surround us and of lands far away. I confess that my greatest desire is to make you fall in love with this tiny enchanting island.

Pages

Thursday 15 November 2012

Tigne Point

I am sure that many of you are wondering whether Malta is made up of a collection of old buildings huddled together on a largish rock in the middle of the sea. Well, it’s not. There are modern buildings too. But I don’t find them as appealing and as blog-worthy as the older buildings. They look so chiseled and clinical. I suppose I just adore the patina and character that come with age. But there has been plenty of that on this blog. So maybe it is time to  share a little bit of modern Malta. Welcome to Tigne Point.

The  Point (14)

The  Point (18)

In the 19th century the British military built a series of barracks at Tigne Point close to the old Fort Tigne which had been built by the Knights of St John in 1793. The barracks remained in use until 1979 when the British forces left Malta. Subsequently, many of  the barracks fell into disrepair and were heavily vandalized. In 2002 the area was ear-marked for development and, ten years down the line, this is almost complete.

The Point (22)

The  Point (5)The  Point (4)

The Point shopping complex was built on the site of the old British barracks The façade was retained but the interior was gutted to create the largest shopping mall on the island. Complementing the shopping mall are a number of apartment complexes that boast a wonderful view of Marsamxett harbour and Valletta. Personally, the lovely view and the old barracks’ façade are what appeal to me. The rest I just tolerate (although the shopping is fun). As with a piece of art, everyone has a certain architectural style that they prefer. I just happen not to prefer the modern style.

The  Point (13)

The Point (15)

Location:  Tigne Point, Sliema

November 2012

4 comments:

  1. I like this modern part. It is subdued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the spider web at the mall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate these high mordern buildings, they spoil the landscape ! I the old facade is kept then it can be even very modern inside. This spider web is really original !

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's fun seeing this side too. :)
    hope all is well loree.
    x

    ReplyDelete

The Azure Window: the end of an icon

The Azure Window was a natural limestone arch that rose majestically out of the blue Mediterranean sea to a height of 28 metres (92 fee...