WELCOME

This blog is dedicated to Malta - my island home. My aim is not to bore you with history but to share my thoughts and a few facts together with a photo or two. For a more in -depth background of the island please go here. The purpose of this blog is not to point out the short-comings of the island. There are plenty that do that already. My wish is to show you the beauty of an island at the cross roads of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of history; a place where fact and fiction are sometimes fused to create unique myths and legends; a country that has been conquered so many times that our culture is a mish mesh of the lands that surround us and of lands far away. I confess that my greatest desire is to make you fall in love with this tiny enchanting island.

Pages

Monday 19 September 2011

Ruby Tuesday–The Valletta Waterfront

The Waterfront (15)

Pops of red (and yellow and blue…) at the Valletta Waterfront. Formerly these were warehouses built by Grand Master Pinto 250 years ago. The area has now been developed as a cruise liner terminal and the warehouses have been converted into shops and restaurants.

The Waterfront (9)

The Waterfront is a nice place for an evening stroll and provides unobstructed views of  Grand Harbour.

The Waterfront (8)

Some may find the colours of the doors, windows and wooden balconies to be gaudy and definitely not in keeping with the former character of this place. Personally I think the colours are fun, even though not historically accurate, and they worked just fine for me, providing me with enough red to participate in this week’s Ruby Tuesday.

Photographed at

The Valletta Waterfront

Valletta

For more  Ruby Tuesday posts visit Mary at Work Of The  Poet.

rubytuesdaybadge2011(2)[1]

15 comments:

  1. Awesome photos of Malta ~ Love the colors ~ namaste, Carol ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely, and brings back happy memories of my trip to Malta a few years ago.

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the colors are fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love this building. The wall and the color just stunning!

    RT

    ReplyDelete
  5. There look awesome for buildings that were constructed 250 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soft clean colors are beautiful, must be so cheerful to view!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning architecture and colours! Wishing you a beautiful week! xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful architecture, wonderful colors and pristinely maintained. It looks like a movie set. Great post, Loree.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Ruby Tuesday theme, very inspiring for posts of beauty and originality-- as I always see when I come here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cheerful houses and doors !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnificent buildings, and I love the colours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The different coloured doors are great! Thanks for this wonderful impressions. Hugs from Luzia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful shots and wonderful architecture!
    Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting my place and taking the time to comment;o)

    ***
    Have a nice and happy Sunday****

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I'm in the "it's fun" camp too!

    ReplyDelete

The Azure Window: the end of an icon

The Azure Window was a natural limestone arch that rose majestically out of the blue Mediterranean sea to a height of 28 metres (92 fee...