WELCOME

This blog is dedicated to Malta - my island home. My aim is not to bore you with history but to share my thoughts and a few facts together with a photo or two. For a more in -depth background of the island please go here. The purpose of this blog is not to point out the short-comings of the island. There are plenty that do that already. My wish is to show you the beauty of an island at the cross roads of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of history; a place where fact and fiction are sometimes fused to create unique myths and legends; a country that has been conquered so many times that our culture is a mish mesh of the lands that surround us and of lands far away. I confess that my greatest desire is to make you fall in love with this tiny enchanting island.

Pages

Sunday 16 January 2011

Wayside Chapels (6) – The Nativity Of Our Lady at Fiddien

I could not find much information about this chapel except that a small church was built in the area in 1550 which remained closed for many years. The present chapel was re-built on the same site in 1615 by Gregorio Xerri and his wife. These days prayer meetings are held in the chapel.

A Drive in the Countryside (2)-1        A Drive in the Countryside (5)-1

A Drive in the Countryside (3)-1

 

The area where this chapel is situated is known as Tas-Salib (salib is cross in Maltese) because of the stone cross on a column situated just a few paces away.

A Drive in the Countryside (6)-1

The Tas-Salib area forms part of the beautiful, unspoilt valley of Fiddien. Fiddien is still a rural back-water with scattered farms and fertile fields. It is a place where silence reigns, broken only by the cheerful twittering of birds and the occasional distant yapping of farm-dogs.

 

A Drive in the Countryside (7)-1

11 comments:

  1. Such perfect architecture, simple as I like it. And what superb location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful chapel in a magnificent place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed at the age of buildings and artifacts in Malta... Imagine, reconstruction in 1615, almost 500 years ago.

    The landscape is lovely and I like your description of "silence" in the valley of Fiddien.

    Bisous,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Loree..phenomenal photos..such beauty and awe! I adore every spotlight you share with us all..such a treat!You are a wonderful spirit..and my visits here always inpsire and ignite..I think you are Malta's..Angel-Guardian-Patron Saint!
    Shine on!
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful.... have to visit Malta.... someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pretty. wish i could be there now!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful architecture. As an architecture and design student, I really love and appreciate this post.
    xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous shots Loree and I love the treatment you have given them. The bluey green makes it seem more isolated in some way... which is fitting as the building style is quite austere...

    Thanks for sharing your Malta with me.. hope you have a wonderful weekend.. ciao xxx Julie

    PS thanks for lovely comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous chapel and location and I like the cross on the column too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could have have a home made out of those wonderful stones!! Have a wonderful day ~ xox Alexandra

    ReplyDelete

The Azure Window: the end of an icon

The Azure Window was a natural limestone arch that rose majestically out of the blue Mediterranean sea to a height of 28 metres (92 fee...