WELCOME

This blog is dedicated to Malta - my island home. My aim is not to bore you with history but to share my thoughts and a few facts together with a photo or two. For a more in -depth background of the island please go here. The purpose of this blog is not to point out the short-comings of the island. There are plenty that do that already. My wish is to show you the beauty of an island at the cross roads of the Mediterranean, a melting pot of history; a place where fact and fiction are sometimes fused to create unique myths and legends; a country that has been conquered so many times that our culture is a mish mesh of the lands that surround us and of lands far away. I confess that my greatest desire is to make you fall in love with this tiny enchanting island.

Pages

Monday 27 September 2010

The Pink Persian

No matter how many times I’ve wandered though the streets of our capital city, it seems that Valletta never ceases to surprise me. Sometimes I wonder if my eyes have just been opened to the wonder of it all. This pink shop front literally made me stop dead in my tracks. I had passed this way many times before. Was it  really possible that I could have missed such a whimsically painted store all those other times?

Valletta (36)

But now my curiosity is even more piqued. What went on behind that pink facade? Maybe it used to be a restaurant. Or a dance hall. Or possibly a store selling belly-dancing costumes. If only I could find a clue … but this city guards its secrets too well. I will just continue to wonder while looking forward to the next closely guarded secret that Valletta will reveal.

7 comments:

  1. Wow...How magical indeeed...super intriguing...love the muted color of pink as well..soft and poetic...what a beautiful site to see! Thanks for sharing the enchantment Loree!! I would definately hang with you there!
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this kind of mysterious storefront that sets the imagination wandering! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Valetta as a very beautiful and romantic town !
    It's sad that your batteries died ! Without camera I feel like without one arm ! I bought one which I can put on charge and I have a spare battery so I never run out of power, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The delicate color makes me think of a lovely salmon bisque...I guess I'm hungry, Loree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Wanda was right on target with "salmon bisque." It is a beautiful color and hides its mysteries well. I really would love to see your beautiful, alluring island.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like a music store. or a place where bands make lovely music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How mysterious... It sort of gives out an aura of a theatre or an auditorium; to me at least.

    ReplyDelete

The Azure Window: the end of an icon

The Azure Window was a natural limestone arch that rose majestically out of the blue Mediterranean sea to a height of 28 metres (92 fee...